ECA General Information
Our ECA activities enhance and build on children’s experiences and learning within the school. The activities will contribute to their intellectual, social, cultural and emotional growth. They will cater to a wide variety of needs and cultures within the school community and will be used to forge links with the wider community. Our expectation is that all pupils will become involved in some form of regular activity outside of school hours for their general health and well-being.
Please Note: No lessons will be made up if they are cancelled as a result of sickness, inclement weather, suspension of classes or school closure.
Term dates for co-curricular activities in 2019-20 academic year are:
- Term 1: 16 September to 9 December 2019
- Term 2: 10 January to 27 March 2020
- Term 3: TBC
Please Note: In order to allow as many pupils as possible to participate in an ECA, activities will be registered on a first come/first served basis, however, where activities are over-subscribed, pupils who are not enrolled in any other activity will be given priority over pupils who already have an assigned ECA. If you choose to sign your child up for more than one ECA, preferences will NOT be accounted for. It will be presumed that your child is happy to do any of the ECAs.
Just registering for an ECA does not mean you/your child has been. Pupils who are accepted and enrolled in an ECA will receive an acceptance confirmation email.
- Pupils may choose which activities they want to enroll in
- New activities may be added during the term.
- Pupils commit themselves to their choices at the start of the school term.
Organisation of ECA Activities
At the beginning of the year and at the end of term one, term two and term three, an ECA activity list of all proposed activities for the next term will be prepared and placed on the school website.
It will include:
- Activity title and leader
- Year range of pupils
- Proposed term, day and duration, venue and cost of the activity
- Activity requirements and expectations
Note that those activities published are proposed activities only. The school reserves the right to change or cancel activities where it sees fit. Information regarding changes is published on the school website.
- All enrollments are on a “first come, first served” basis. However, where activities are over-subscribed, pupils may be offered another activity and will be given priority over students who already have an assigned ECA. No waiting lists are carried over.
- As such, attendance once enrolled is compulsory. Pupils must notify the class teacher, secretary or ECA Coordinator if they are unable to attend an activity session.
- Successful applications will be flagged in the enrollment log. Payment of a fee will be required upon acceptance.
- Activities will only take place if there are sufficient numbers to run the activity, an event may be cancelled due to lack of numbers.
- The school reserves the right to refuse an application or exclude a participant if his/her presence has a negative effect on the activity.
- In the event of the cancellation of an activity, primary pupils will be contacted via their class teacher and automatically placed on school buses where appropriate. Primary pupils' parents will be contacted to advise of an activity cancellation.
- In the event of the cancellation of activities classes will not be made up.
- In the event of illness or injury, classes will not be made up.
- If a coach/tutor is unable to take their activity due to an unforeseen circumstance, WASHK will attempt to make alternative arrangements.
- Pupils who must wait for activities to commence must either sign up for Homework Club or another ECA directly before.
- In some cases, to enhance pupil learning, the coach/tutor may request that parents are not present during classes. The coach/tutor's discretion is final in such matters.
- Pupils are not permitted to enter any of the extra-curricular activity areas unless their tutor is present.